Sunday, January 30, 2011

Learning to Read as a Child

Audrey:
I don’t remember exactly how old I was when I started reading. I remember my mom would always read to my sister and I when we were little. We would always check out books from our town library and beg her to read to us every chance we could. I actually learned how to read at an event called “Story Hour” at our public library. This organization taught me how to read at a very young age and by 2nd grade I was already reading some-what thick books. Learning to read at such a young age has given me a huge imagination and the ability to understand a lot faster. As a child I loved to read. I read almost every day. Some of my favorite books as a child, that I can remember reading, included the wayside story books and Goose bump books. I still enjoy spending time reading long novels over the summer when I have time and when I'm not busy with school work.

Shawna:
I also do not remember how old I was whenever I started reading. I do remember my mom and sisters always reading to me before bed and when I learned how to read thats all I wanted to do! I remember having reading logs in 2nd grade and we also had something called books for bucks. So every time you read a book you would take a test on a computer and if you made a certain percentage you got money. This definitley made reading interesting. Some of my favorite books were BoxCar Kids and Jenna B. Jones. To this day I still love to read, not necessarily school books, but more non-fiction type books.
Michael:
Before I was able to read I used to look at comics and make up stories which seemed to coincide with the pictures. I used to tell those stories to my friends and show them the comics at the same time. This early imagination probably helped stimulate my ability to read. My parents used to read to me often. After I learned how to read I started to read to my parents. There were also school competitions that would help stimulate my reading abilities. Some of my favorite earliest series to read were: The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Hank the Cowdog, and Young Wizards. I beieve having a favorite series is something that can help readers learn how to read becasue they like the story and want to read t.

5 comments:

  1. I can't remember how I learned to read but it's so important to all of us :) the memory has a strange way if remembering how everything is learned through life!
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't remember how I learned to read...thank goodness I'm not the only one! I do remember my dad bringing home stacks of books for my sisters and me all the time because we would read through them so fast. It was a big part of my childhood.
    -Kayla Hadwiger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that I used to act like I could read because I already had the book memorized from hearing my mother read it all the time. I thought I had her fooled into thinking I could read but she knew the truth & I eventually learned how to read although I don't remember the process.
    -Nikki Beasler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki, you'd be amazed at how common that is. Very cool. Good comments everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when my mom used to read to me every night before bed. Their is one story called "Love You Forever" that my mom always used to read to me, it was definitely my favorite. I also had one book, like Nikki that I had memorized, I don't remember the name, but it was about dolphins. Every time I would "read it" everybody would listen to me because it said echolocation in it and they thought it was funny. I don't remember actually learning to read though, I guess just first grade when they passed out those books that had three words on a page.
    -Alli Dial

    ReplyDelete